- Contact Us
- About Us
- Young Birders
- Go To
- Help With
- Log In
Visit the Sanctuary
The 111-acre Sanctuary is open to the public from dawn to dusk and contains several miles of well marked and well maintained trails. But, be aware that the trails may be muddy and awkward during wetter times. Please report any problems you discover (e.g. downed trees, blocked trails) to the Reist Sanctuary Steward.
Use Google Maps or follow the directions below.
- From the Adirondack Northway (I-87) exit 6, drive west on SR 7 (Troy-Schenectady Road) for 6.6 miles. Turn left onto Morgan Avenue. Park in the area provided at the dead end.
- From I-890 exit at Rt 7 and travel east for 2.2 miles. Turn right onto Morgan Avenue and park at the end.
- End of Morgan Ave.
- Oakmont St. (Wheelchair access)
- End of Thackerey Ct.
- Brendan Lane
- Center for the Forest Preserve (897 St. David's Lane)
- Poison Ivy and other poisonous plants occur in the Sanctuary.
- Use precautions to protect yourself from ticks and mosquitoes.
- The Sanctuary is a carry-in carry-out facility. Leave nothing behind.
- All pets must be leashed
- No camping
- No hunting or trapping
- No release of pet animals
- No collecting or disturbing of plants and animals
- No removing rock, soil or wood
- No dumping or littering
- No fires
- No vehicles of any kind, including ATVs, snowmobiles, bicycles, tricycles or motorcycles
- No horses
- No use of paintball equipment
- No loudspeakers -- earphones only.
Educational and research programs and proposals are welcomed. A large file of information about the Sanctuary, including a flora and avifauna, is available for your guidance. Wheelchair access is available at the Oakmont Street trailhead. Please direct inquiries and informational contributions to Carl J. George, Chair of the Sanctuary Committee, HMBC, Department of Biology, Union College. Schenectady, NY 12308.
Reist Sanctuary 42° 47' 17.1384" N, 73° 53' 8.0412" W